Do you have a special friend? Someone who brightens your days, fills your thoughts with joy, and gives you unconditional support in hard times? A special friend like this is more precious than gold. I'm blessed to have such a friend. Actually -- I have two "special friends." One is my husband, Bob. The other is my special friend Sue.
Sue and I began our friendship through our church work. While we often saw things differently, and sometimes were in conflict, I began to respect her viewpoints and I learned to see her as a very warm, giving, and compassionate person. Wonder of all wonders -- she saw me as worthy of her friendship!
During the past year my friend has faced some very difficult challenges. These challenges have rocked the basis of her thinking and caused her to make decisions which she thought she would never have to make. Yet, through it all, she has remained courageous, joyous, forgiving, and supportive. The physical challenge of breast cancer weighed heavy, and demands of her successful business kept her attention, but she always had time to send a kind email message, make a short phone call, and give me the benefit of her good ideas. Sue has shown me how to be a better friend.
Now, as she celebrates her recovery from the breast cancer treatments, proceeds to relocate her successful business to a new state, returns the loving support of her husband and children, I'm proud to say that she is more dear to me today than ever before. While it may no longer be possible for us to spend time together doing "girly" things -- I'm cherishing the times we have shared. I looking forward to seeing her grow in wisdom, love, and joy.
As I write this I'm thinking of what makes a "special friend" special. To me it is willingness to be there for another person, to listen when needed, to make helpful suggestions and to offer corrections when appropriate. It is sharing, caring, and giving. It is finding joy in another's good. It is singing in the rain, walking quietly in a storm, smiling through tears, laughing at silly jokes, and just being there for each other.
Thank God for my special friend. May you find your special friend also and enjoy all the pleasure and challenges friendship entails.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Mary Alyce! how sweet. I feel the same way about friendships - yours in particular is super special. you've been the one to help me move through the valley and not dawdle nor frown about things that don't make sense right now. you've helped me keep a smile on, you've brightened my outlook and my life. remember even on a gloomy day we found reasons to laugh until we cried! Thank you friend. See you soon!
ReplyDelete